Thursday, November 11, 2010

Last day in DC

Today is my last day in DC.

I'm finally doing it. I am moving to Kenya. Is this really my life?

Almost four years ago I came to DC for a change. To live in a city, work with like-minded people, and grow as a professional. Wow! Where has the time gone? Although I still have a lot of growing to do, I accomplished exactly what I wanted. I met some AMAZING people, made my mark in this city, and I definitely learned what it takes to have a successful career.

What's next?
Sunday afternoon I will board a Boeing 747, as I have done many times before. However, this trip will be a little longer than usual. I will land in Nairobi Monday November 15, to start working on the Kenya Youth Empowerment and Employment Initiative.

I am excited about this work, the people I will meet, and the progress we will make in East Africa. Already, there has been significant movement in the sectors we're working in: Environment, Health, Infrastructure, Business and Technology, and Agriculture and Livestock.

My role, is to be the project manager for KYEEI. This position is taking me back to my community organizing roots and I am overjoyed. To be on the ground with the people is where I thrive most. This work is being led by Kenyans and I am honored that they have accepted me to assist them along the way. I'm buckled up and ready for take off.

Personal goals: (yes, I said it folks, goals.)
I also have many personal goals for this year abroad. The one that stands out most is learning Swahili. My 2011 goal/mission, is to become fluent. I've decided I can no longer just love this country and culture as a mzungu (white person) or a tourist. I want to invest...in the language, culture, and in the faith and business community. I feel challenged by this task and I am ready to succeed.

This blog will be where you can come to keep updated on my life in Nairobi. I hope to share my experiences, adventures, struggles, successes, friends and many more details and stories with you all in the next year.

I hope you enjoy this from my homeland or from wherever you are. And remember you're always welcome to visit me in Nairobi. Karibu Kenya!

Contact info:
Feel free to write me a note at cassie.bixler@gmail.com.
Skype: Cassandra Bixler or Bixler14

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to read about your experiences and reflections, cassie! safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete